Sunday 18 May 2014

Words from the crew

We have all been contributing to this blog. Some of us more than others. However, to celebrate the conclusion of this adventure, the skipper suggested all of us write something.
Don't worry, this is not our last post. We promised a video showing a whale and we will deliver.
These are the messages from our crew:

The late Philip Larkin I believe said that one should try everything once–except incest and Morris Dancing and crossing the Atlantic with this team proved  him to be correct . We have had the most wonderful  adventure. We have been accompanied by lovely dolphins , appraised as food items by Orcas and persued by bonkers whales .
I would like to thank Michael for making it possible and Dalit and Noam for guiding us to safety . To Hans my thanks for good companionship .  (The Doctor)

Tears in our eyes! The end of dream that became true! Crossing the Atlantic on a sailing boat entitles all of us to wear “red trousers”… sadly: red trousers all along. Did they or did they not? Even the last night has been full of adventures:  passing Sagres, the most east point of Europe at about midnight, Noam and Hans enjoyed the company of dolphins: welcome Portugal, welcome waypoint! The skipper had the (good) idea that each of us should add some personal words to our final blog: following the doctor (to whom I am grateful ,not only for curing my cough, but also for entertaining lot of “wisdom time” during the passage) I too thank Michael for his generosity to have us with him – and the crew to deal with elderly men, thinking they are in their twenties. Good future to Yacht 42 Best, Hans

We sailed 3965 miles and are still talking to one another so that’s a first. We had beautiful sunsets, beautiful sunrises, a full Atlantic south westerly gale, dolphins, whales, gourmet food throughout [except when I tried cooking], fresh fish when we still owned a half mile fishing line – that reminds me, somehow in the excitement of it all we omitted to report on Dalit’s cure for her husband’s fishing obsession – I trust you will get a photo of our fishing reel and spot the deliberate mistake – there’s half a mile of fishing line gone missing – was it the biggest fish ever which took the lure? We’ll never know the answer but it’s awfully hard to fish with no fishing line. We’re now sitting in the sun in Portimao marina making up for lost time with cheese, red and white wine, [it’s already a two cigar day] Hans is struggling manfully to finish his half of the bottle of Aguardente Velha and Doc  has rushed off to catch the 8.30 EasyJet back home to the arms of his lovely Irene. 42 has already had a scrub – Noam- and a bath –moi -[she comes first of course] and our first Portuguese visitor, Julie, is aboard inspecting the Spartan living conditions aboard. Noam has even shaved, sort of, for the occasion, Hans is no longer coughing his guts out and I’ve removed my romper suit – fortunately not recorded on film. For those of you in England [and elsewhere] now abed – to misquote the great bard – that crossed with us in spirit via this blog, it was great fun and we’re ready to do it all over again. Thank you one and all for a wonderful trip and a great experience; having a big boy’s toy is really only fun when you can share the enjoyment. (Michael)

I have sailed almost 4000 miles and didn’t lose anyone. Woo hoo. Everyone is still in one piece. (minus one dislocated shoulder, a few scrapes and maybe some psychiatric help for some of our crew members)
I’m ready for another month. How I love being in the 24V world. No news, no TV, no rush, no rat race.  I dread coming in to the dock, also knowing that I have a work list 3 pages long that has to be done.
Good stuff. Good fun. Special thanks to Michael, our owner for giving me the opportunity to cross out a box on my checklist and also to my SISTA, who is responsible for posting all these wonderful words  you all were reading throughout this voyage. Thanks to the dolphins and whales that provided the live entertainment, and, of course (of coursica…) to my beautiful wife for filling our tummies with delicious food.
Portimao is surprisingly tranquil, that is, for a city marina. Very peaceful. I am ready for another 20 hour nap before I get started on that list.
And we’re off to the Med (in a couple weeks, that is). Next stop is Corsica, I’ve heard it is beautiful out there, although it’s going to take a lot to top the magic of the Azores.  Yours truly, SKIPPA.

I don’t know if the salt air has affected my sanity but I did not feel ready to get back to land. In fact, I was kind of wishing to stay in the ocean for another 2 months or so… Waking up just as we were entering the marina and seeing the fat tall buildings of Praia da Rocha, was like garlic to a vampire.
I am very thankful for this trip. I feel lucky and privileged. I am very excited to continue sailing east, but not before I find a big supermarket and buy lots and lots more food J
Thanks to the Doctor for looking after us, to Hans for the witty humor, to Michael for being a great fellow sailor and exceptional boss. And of course to my captain, whom I love even more after this experience.
Until the next adventure – The Chef


          

2 comments:

  1. Reading this blog from the start of your voyage to the end has been an exciting adventure. I am so wonderfully proud of my talented son and daughter-in-law. They wanted an adventure and fulfilled one of their dreams! Now you know you can do anything! A job well done!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well done all. Fantastic. I can't believe Dad survived a long journey without fall-outs or sackings, clearly either: he's mellowed, you guys are great, or both.

    ReplyDelete